By the time you are reading this post, Z and I will be eating and drinking our way through Europe on a much needed vacation. Z has never been to Europe before and I haven’t been since my backpacking days in college. When I was younger, food wasn’t as large of a part of my life as it is now. Don’t get me wrong, I loved to eat, but I didn’t savor my food as much as I do now and I most certainly didn’t travel to a city, specifically for food as I would now. The last time I was Europe, I’m fairly certain I ate my fair share of McDonald’s while traveling about. This time around, I probably won’t even consider setting foot in the golden arches, unless it’s to show Z that they actually do serve beer in European McDonald’s.
Needless to say, when we return, I will probably be eating vegetables all day every day for a week to offset all the food and drink from nine days in Europe, including this twist on traditional roasted brussels sprouts.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chipotle Vinaigrette
Courtesy of People Magazine
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 T. finely chopped garlic
- 1 T. chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts
- 2-3 T. olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk together sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, chipotle pepper and salt. Add 1 c. hot water; cover and let stand 1 hour.
3. Trim brussels sprouts, removing and discarding loose outer leaves; cut sprouts in half through the core.
4. Cook sprouts, cut side down, with 2 T. olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over med-high heat until sizzling. Add remaining oil if necessary.
5. Roast sprouts in skillet in oven for 8 minutes or until golden. Shake skillet to redistribute sprouts; return to oven and roast 10-15 minutes or until tender and bright green.
6. Place skillet on stove top over medium heat. Add butter and salt and pepper to taste, tossing until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Toss with chipotle vinaigrette and serve.