I’m not sure what has gotten into me lately but I’ve been baking up a storm. Maybe it’s the hint of fall, or the fact that I’ve been biking to work most days and justifying the extra calories:) Either way, I’m pretty sure Z and my co-workers have enjoyed reaping the benefits. And I hope you do too.
Salted Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 3 dozen
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. quick oats
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 6 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium apples, cored and chopped into small bits
- 18 Brach’s caramels, unwrapped
- 1 t. kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.
3. Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple pieces.
4. Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes, but do not remove.
5. Melt unwrapped caramels, 2 T. of water, and kosher salt in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. If needed, place in microwave for additional 15 second intervals, stirring in between until completely melted. With a fork, drizzle caramel over each cookie. After cookies are completely cooled and caramel has hardened a bit, remove cookies from trays and store in an air-tight container.